It’s cold outside and that is the best time to bake desserts, even better is pumpkin desserts since Christmas is right around the corner. When everyone is bringing another pumpkin pie, you can be the hero and show up with delicious pumpkin bars with a cream cheese swirl on top…yum! If it were me I would pick that….and a piece of pumpkin pie because I’m greedy like that and will never pass up pumpkin pie. 🙂
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin
- ¼ cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 heaping teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Cream Cheese Filling Ingredients
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and 1½ cups sugar until smooth. Beat in 2 eggs, pumpkin, 1 teaspoon of vanilla and water until well blended.
3. In a separate bowl, mix flour, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin/butter mixture and combine until well blended.
4. Spread about ⅔ of the batter evenly into the prepared pan. In a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat cream cheese, 1 egg, ¼ cup sugar, and ½ teaspoon of vanilla until smooth.
5. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over the pumpkin batter. Dollop the remaining pumpkin batter over the cream cheese batter and spread out as evenly as possible. Use a table knife to swirl together the cream cheese and top layer of pumpkin batter.
6. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the center of the pumpkin batter springs back when touched. Cool completely in pan, then cut into bars.
Recipe adapted from The Recipe Critic