My husband has a slight addiction to peanut butter cookies. And by slight I mean every time we go somewhere that sells peanut butter cookies, he can’t help himself, he’s drawn to the cookies with wide eyes and automatically orders two, then proceeds to eat one right away and saves the other one for a late night snack. This past Christmas, I made the most delicious, soft baked peanut butter cookies that were gone in 5 minutes, however my husband was having a hard remembering how tasty they were since he has cheated on my cookies so many times since then! So, I thought it was about time I made more to remind him homemade cookies are the best! I was determined to make him love them and I think I succeeded…or at least he lied and said I did, which I’ll take 🙂 It’s hard to go wrong with Sally’s Baking Addiction PB recipe, it’s one of the best.
I made a second batch of Crisco peanut butter cookies to compare which are also very tasty but ultimately, Sally’s won the vote for chewiness and softness! Both recipes are included below.
The Winner!-Sally’s Baking Addiction Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened to room temperature*
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 and 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1. In a large bowl, using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars together on medium speed. Mix in the peanut butter, egg, and vanilla (in that order). Scrape down the sides as needed. Slowly mix in the baking soda and flour. Do not overmix. Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll about 1.5 Tablespoons of dough into a ball. Place onto ungreased cookie sheet or silicone baking mat. Bake for 8-9 minutes. Cookies will be soft and may appear undone. They will firm up as they cool.
3. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack. Cookies stay fresh in an air-tight container for up to 1 week.
2nd Place but Certainly not Last!-Crisco Peanut Butter Cookies
- 3/4 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1/2 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks All-Vegetable Shortening
- OR 1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
1. Heat oven to 375°F. Combine peanut butter, shortening, brown sugar, milk and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended. Add egg. Beat just until blended.