This is by far my favorite cupcake I’ve ever made and I don’t even drink coffee! It was so moist and the flavor was just like a piece of Tiramisu cake. The Mascarpone buttercream was a happy accident because the original recipe I was following called for heavy whipping cream which ended up being out of date…I figured this out after I whipped it for 5 minutes. I panicked a little but then rallied and mixed up some butter with mascropne cheese and added powered sugar which turned out wonderful! These are best eaten when the warm coffee has just been poured onto the cupcake…yum, yum! Otherwise, I popped mine in the microwave for 10 seconds. I hope you enjoy as much as I did 🙂
(my picture differs slightly from the ingredients I ended up using because I had to change my buttercream recipe after I took my picture)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup coffee
- chocolate shavings for garnish
- cocoa power for garnish
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
To make the buttercream:
1. Beat the butter and cheese with a mixer until light and creamy. Add sugar and continue beating until smooth.
To make the cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin pan with paper liners.
2. In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Finally stir in the milk until batter is smooth. Pour or spoon batter into the prepared pan.
3. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven. For cupcakes, bake 20 to 25 minutes. Cake is done when it springs back to the touch. (white cake recipe from allrecipes.com)
4. Once cupcakes are cool, use a fork and poke several holes in the cupcake.
5. Pour 2 tablespoons of warm coffee into each cupcake, making sure you get into all the holes. Then brush the tops of each cupcake with coffee to coat any uncovered areas.
6. Frost cupcakes with buttercream and sprinkle cocoa powder and shaved chocolate on top.
*I used a cheese grater to make make my chocolate shavings 🙂
© Sweets Eats and Crafts All images and content are copy right protected. Please do not use images or content without permission. Please cite if borrowed.