One of my favorite summer desserts is strawberry shortcake! However, I must admit that before now I’ve always bought the cute round prepackaged shortcakes at the store which are pretty darn good, but why not make a better, tastier cake. I had so much fun decorating this cake and I think it turned out beautiful, it was almost a shame to cut into my masterpiece 🙂 The inside was even prettier with the whipped cream and strawberry layer. Yummy! Goodbye prepackage shortcakes!
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Strawberries for decorating
( you can see original recipe here)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two 8 inch round baking and with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour. (Or I like using the baking spray that already has flour in it..the cake comes out perfect every time!)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar for 2 minutes then beat in one egg at a time. Mix in the the vanilla. Alternating between the flour mixture and milk, gradually add the flour in three parts and the milk in two parts, starting and ending with the flour.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two and bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cook for 10-15 minutes then turn out of the pans onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream on high speed until thickened and soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the sugar and vanilla then beat until stiff peaks form. Keep chilled until ready to use.
1. Place one cake layer on a cake stand or plate and cover the top with whipped cream and decorate how you like with strawberries.
2. Place the second cake layer carefully on top and cover the entire cake with whipped cream.
3. Decorate the top layer with strawberries and enjoy!
© Sweets Eats and Crafts All images and content are copy right protected. Please do not use images or content without permission. Please cite if borrowed.