The letter “k” had some good recipe options to choose from and many were great healthy ideas. However, kale chips are not going to satisfy anyone’s sweet tooth in this house! I’ve never made key lime pie before so it was a perfect choice for me. I wanted to make them into bars because that just seems a little more fun than a pie 🙂 They turned very yummy and better than I ever expected! I got the recipe from the wonderful blog Sally’s Baking Addiction. I hope you enjoy!
I altered a few things from the original recipe such as using 4 tablespoons melted butter instead of 3 and using graham crackers instead of ginger snaps. My recipe is below.
- 2 cups finely crushed graham crackers
- 4 Tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 4 large egg yolks
- 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk (not fat free)
- 1/2 cup key lime juice
- 1 teaspoons key lime zest (about 2 key limes)
1. Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line a 9×9 baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving an overhang on the sides, and lightly spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
2. Mix the crumbs and butter together into a medium sized bowl. Press crumb mixture firmly onto the foil. Bake for 10 minutes while you make the filling.
3. To prepare filling, beat the cream cheese with a mixer on high speed until smooth. Next, beat in the egg yolks until thick.
4. Beat in the milk, lime juice, and lime zest until combined.
5. Pour the filling over the crust.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the edges of the bars begin to brown. Cool on a wire rack until it’s room temperature then chill in the refrigerator for 2.5 hours. After they have fully chilled, lift the bars out of the pan using the foil hanging over the pan. Cut into squares and enjoy!