Finding a good recipe for H was a little bit of a challenge. I’m not a huge fish fan so halibut was out of the running and I thought about making a hazelnut spread but I just a fruit dip so I wanted to spread my wings I little. I got pretty excited about making hush puppies but my husband busted my happy bubble when he pointed out we don’t have a fryer 😦 “Thank you, I realize that…I was going to fry them in the pan as another blogger recommended”, I pointed out to this amateur! “Eww! Ohhh, no! You can’t do that!”, the amateur screamed!….happy bubble popped and off to amazon.com to reclaim my happiness with a new fryer!
So until I can stuff my face with delicious hush puppies I will delight you with Honey Cake. I found this recipe on allrecipes.com. Many reviewers replaced the orange juice with coffee and said it was amazing. I also used lemon juice instead of orange zest and my cooking time was altered. (Please visit allrecipes.com for original recipe, my version is below.) I decided to try the coffee out since I loved the last time I put coffee in one of my cakes. It turned out very moist with tons of flavor, however I think the orange juice would compliment the the honey great and I will try that next time.
Serving: 1 Loaf
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup hot coffee
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Grease one loaf pan.
2. Sift dry ingredients and set aside.
3. Mix sugar, honey, oil, eggs, and lemon in a medium bowl.
4. Stir in coffee. Then add flour and mix well.
5. Pour mixture into loaf pan.
6. Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy 🙂