This is my version of the popular Kit Kat Bar Cake. My husbands birthday was this weekend and I wanted to make a cake he’s never had before. When I saw this Kit Kat Cake on Pinterest with the cute Teddy Graham bears on the beach, it reminded me of our recent trip to Mexico and I thought it was the perfect cake. It also looked like it would be so much to make, and it was 🙂 It was almost too cute to eat…almost. 🙂
I had so much fun shopping for all the ingredients and decorations for this cake. At Party City I bought the paper umbrellas and a couple sour candy fruit strips for the “beach towels”. I went to PetSmart in the fish tank section to buy the little trees 🙂 I looked at several hobby shops for miniature palm trees (the original Beach Party Kit Kat Cake had really cute palm trees on their cake) but I had no luck. All other ingredients were bought at Walmart….expect for the last pack of Kit Kats that I bought at the corner gas station at 9pm when I ran out in the middle of decorating the cake! Note to self* always buy more just in case!
My husband loves yellow box cake and I was happy to make it since it was easy and it was late 🙂 However, I should have made two boxes to make the layers higher. So if you decide to use box cake, use two boxes so that each layer is higher and meets the top of the Kit Kats.
Yellow Cake Mix (I would suggest 2 boxes)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
4 packages of King Size Kit Kats (I used about 40 individual Kit Kats)
Sour Fruit Strips
Miniature Fake Trees
Blue Food Coloring
1. Mix cake according to directions and pour into two round cake pans and bake according to directions on box. Allow cake to cool completely and then frost entire cake with chocolate icing.
2. Add blue food coloring to vanilla icing until you reach the desired blue color. Layer the blue icing over half of the top part of the cake for the “ocean”.
3. Sprinkle a layer of brown sugar over the other half of the cake for the “beach”.
4. Decorate the cake with the candy, Teddy Grahams, and trees.
5. Break Kit Kats in pairs and place bars on the cake, gently pushing into the frosting. Tie a ribbon around the cake to keep the Kit Kats in place.
6. Top the cake with the umbrella and enjoy 🙂